Just because you’re on a low sugar diet it doesn’t mean you have to miss out! It’s really easy to make your favourite sweet treats using the pure sweetness of fruit rather than the more refined sweetness of sugar.
I love this simple jam recipe – it only takes 5 minutes and there’s no endless boiling, thermometers and certainly no need for loads of sugar.
- 2 large handfuls of fruit (can be frozen or fresh)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of raw honey, maple syrup, Xylitol or Sukrin – you may even find the sweetness of the fruit is enough.
- A squeeze of lemon juice, lime juice or half to 1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar – this brings out the flavor of the fruit
- Some fresh vanilla (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
Put the fruit into a pan and gently heat until simmering. Add the sweetener and lemon/lime or vinegar to taste.
Allow to gently heat for about 5 minutes.
Mash with a potato masher, add in some fresh vanilla if using, and then stir in your chia seeds.
Place your jam into a clean jar or bowl.
After about 10 minutes it will start to thicken. Check the flavour of your jam and add a bit more lemon/sweetener as needed, or more chia seeds. If it’s too thick, you can add a dash of water.
Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks – serve on wholemeal toast, natural yoghurt – or my children’s favorite, with some peanut butter on an oatcake!
Top Tip: You can also make a speedy raw version of this, blending your fruit with the chia seeds and avoiding the cooking stage, but your jam may be a little thinner.
Love this? Check out Catherine’s Healthy Flapjack recipe here.