In the second instalment of their wonderful blog post, our New Mum Confidence Class teachers Jo Adams and Cathy Cookson, offer some amazingly simple tips on how we can all be better parents.
If you missed the post on tips 1 to 6, you can find them here, and just read on for tips 7 to 12!
7. Enjoy! Being a parent is a wonderful gift, and it maybe hard to believe right now, but the baby part of your journey is over in a flash! Breathe in every second of this special time, enjoying the now.
8. Look after yourself and remember who you are: Make time for yourself a priority and routine. This could be a soak in the bath, a magazine, or a daytime nap or a relaxing massage – if you have stacks of pennies you may even have a private jet chartered for a weekend away…(if only)! Your special Tot joined your life, not the other way around. Keep hold of who you have always been, as well as the parent you are now.
9. Don’t sweat the small stuff: If your baby is happy and healthy, you’re doing a great job!
10. Don’t compare yourself to anyone else: There’s no such thing as a perfect parent, the truth is we all do the best we can. Try not to put anyone on a pedestal, as it can put unnecessary pressure on yourself. We all have good and bad bits and are all unique and that makes for a far more interesting world doesn’t it? Making mistakes is how we all learn and as your babies’ role model, it’s great to show them as they grow that nothing’s perfect and that’s ok.
11. It’s not a competition: Babies do things in their own time, just like grown ups! All babies are different. Ignore the bragging and the boasting of other parents, they are just as worried and nervous as you, they just choose to show it in a different way.
12. Accept help: Don’t be afraid to accept help when it’s offered, or ask for it when it’s not. Think of the different cultures around the world and how raising children is seen as a community effort. Think of who you have as your very own community and support structure, and get them involved. There are no prizes for doing it alone.
Our Baby and Beyond New Mum Confidence Classes are not currently running but if you would be interested in the course, please contact Reception on 01603 631 900, email [email protected] or go to our contact page.