How to boost my metabolism? This is a question I am asked time and again by my clients… but do you know what your metabolism is… or how to boost it? Or why you need to boost it in the first place? The fact is, if you support your metabolism, you’ll burn calories faster. Perfect for getting your bikini body ready this summer! Find out how with these five simple steps – by Catherine Jeans DipION mBANT CNHC, our Nutritional Therapist and Weight Loss Expert.
What is your metabolism?
Your metabolism is actually the term used to describe all chemical reactions in your body that are involved in maintaining your cells and keeping you alive. Energy production is just one of those reactions. I like to consider the metabolism as a fire in the body, and the brighter it burns, the more calories you burn, which means you’ll store less fat. There are certain things which can have a thermogenic effect, which means they boost your metabolism by stoking up the fire and enhancing the amount of calories you burn, which can help to support weight loss.
Here are 5 things you can do to boost your metabolism:
- Move more: the less we move, the more stagnated our metabolism tends to become. In fact, research is showing us that it’s more detrimental to our health to be sitting for long periods of time, even if we go to the gym every night for a vigorous one hour work out. Regular movement is key – so avoid sitting for long periods of time – stand up to make phone calls, get up every half hour to get a glass of water or go to the photocopier.
- Eat plenty of protein: protein has a thermogenic effect in the body, which means that it can help to support metabolism. If you are trying to lose weight, choose lean protein sources with all your meals such as chicken or turkey breast, fish, seafood, beans, pulses, eggs or naturally low fat dairy such as cottage cheese.
- Do the right kind of exercise: doing the right kind of exercise is vital if you want to know how to boost your metabolism. Weights and muscle resistance work (such as yoga, pilates) can help to support your metabolism by increasing your muscle mass. As muscle requires more calories to maintain it, this naturally increases your metabolic rate.
- Add black pepper and spices to your food: black pepper, cayenne pepper and other spices such as chilli have been shown to help support your metabolic rate. This is a very simple way to support metabolism, by merely adding some freshly ground black pepper or chilli into your food. You can also drink up to 3 cups of green tea per day, another compound shown to support metabolism.
- Green Coffee Extract: a natural plant extract which is rich in active components, chlorogenic acids and caffeic acid, which research has shown may help to support weight loss by lowering blood sugar after a meal and favouring the breakdown of lipid (fat) reserves. When choosing a green coffee extract in supplement form, it is vital to choose one which contains reduced amounts of caffeine and is free from potentially harmful ingredients found in the whole bean such as cafestol and kahweol.
Supplements to Support Your Metabolism
If you want to know how to boost your metabolism, research is showing there are in fact various compounds which may help to support this. At The Orange Grove Clinic’s supplement centre, we now stock a brand new green coffee supplement to naturally help support metabolism. ThermoMax by Nutri contains decaffeinated green coffee extract, as well as black pepper, cayenne pepper and green tea extract, plus B vitamin support. All of our supplement range are carefully selected by myself, providing very good quality nutrients and complexes to support optimum health. Two capsules of ThermoMax can be taken per day to help support your metabolism, but it’s important to remember that the right diet absolutely must come first, and supplements such as these are not the solution on their own. However alongside the right diet, ThermoMax may help to support weight loss goals by naturally aiding your metabolism. Unfortunately, some peoples’ metabolism can become a bit sluggish after years of yo yo dieting, so this supplement can be supportive in many cases. It is £24 for 60 capsules, and can be purchased from our clinic reception or online.
We also stock Gluco-Chrome by Nutri, which is an alpha-lipoic acid, chromium and cinnamon complex to help support sugar cravings and blood sugar balance, and can be very supportive alongside ThermoMax as part of a weight loss programme. It is £13 for 60 capsules, and I advise two to three per day, one with each main meal.
Summer Offer! Support your bikini body this summer with 15% off GlucoChrome and Thermomax when purchased together. Just go to our online shop and use the code summ2014 at the checkout. Offer ends 31st August 2014
If you are interested in weight loss support, I offer private Nutritional Therapy appointments for weight loss, which can be combined with hypnotherapy and NLP sessions to support motivation and address the underlying issues of your weight gain. Please call reception on or contact us here to book.