How to be a great parent… it’s something that most Mums or Dads what to find out. When you first welcome your bundle of joy into the world, alongside the overwhelming feelings of pride and happiness, it’s perfectly natural to also experience periods of worry, anxiety and often as they get older, trying times. How do you know if you are doing the right thing? What IS the ‘right’ thing? Everybody gives you different advice, so who should you listen to? Should you listen to any of it? Why is your baby developing at a different pace to your friend’s baby? Is it something that you’ve done? In this fascinating blog post, our new Parenting Class teachers Cathy Cookson and Jo Adams have some really great top tips… (and if you want to find out more, click onto our parenting classes, for details of their new classes starting on Thursday 26th June).
Top 12 Tips on how to be a great parent
- Be calm: calm parents make for calm babies. Ever wondered why your baby won’t settle when you’re stressed out? Your baby will pick up on your emotions and mirror them as well as learn from them. When you learn how to relax into parenthood you’re little one will be calmer and happier too.
- Trust your instincts: No-one knows your baby like you do. You have grown this little tot, they are a combination of genes and characters that no-one shares as closely as you. Believe in yourself and let your instincts guide you.
- Be flexible: adapt your parenting style to fit your baby and the day that you are in! If it doesn’t work try something else, sometimes it’s a numbers game!
- Take advice wisely: everyone in the world ….and their aunt…. will give advice. Even complete strangers! With so many conflicting opinions on offer it can get confusing and quite loud! Be discerning about what advice to follow and don’t be afraid to say ‘No’!
- Make sure what you do is right for you: Don’t be afraid to make your own choices or to put them first. Remember the phrase: ‘You can’t please everyone?’ What works for you is right for you.
- All you need is love! There is nothing more scrumptious than the love between a parent and their child. Take time every day to snuggle, kiss and hold your baby close, the jobs can wait! Skin on skin contact calms babies and releases the bodies natural endorphins which enhances your bond.
Whilst you’re putting tip 6 in to action, why not use some Motherlylove Bouncing Baby Massage Oil, available from our on-line Shop, for that extra special connection? You can also check our series of videos with Kimberley Dawn Carpenter, Baby Massage Instructor and Practitioner, to learn more about Baby Massage and it’s benefits.
And don’t forget to watch out for Part 2 of this blog, to find out about the next 6 tips from our Parenting Class teachers, Kathy and Jo. Our Baby and Beyond Classes are not running at the moment but, if you are interested in future courses, please contact Reception on 01603 631 900, email [email protected] or go to our contact page.