Have your hayfever symptoms started this year yet? For some the spring and summer can spell months of feeling under the weather, with runny noses, itchy eyes and headaches. To help you this year, Norwich Homeopath Kathy Payne has put together some top tips on dealing with Hayfever symptoms naturally…. no you don’t have to suffer hayfever! There is something you can do!
So What Are the Symptoms of Hayfever Anyway?
Hayfever symptoms are an allergic response to pollen and symptoms can affect the eyes, nose, mouth/throat and sinuses.
Hayfever Symptoms include:
- itching eyes, nose, palate and throat
- runny or bunged up nose and/or sneezing
- watery eyes
- breathlessness or wheezing
These are signs of inflammation in the mucous membranes.
If you have ever suffered from hayfever, you will also know it can make you feel miserable, irritable and wiped out.
As hayfever is an allergy, it can run in families, alongside other allergies such as asthma, eczema and food intolerances, but not always.
Why Do I Have Hayfever Symptoms When No-one Is Even Cutting Grass Yet? And I Live in a City!
Hayfever symptoms are the result of an allergy to pollen, but not always grass pollens. They are seasonal: in Spring the allergy is mostly tree pollens and Summer it’s mainly grass pollens. Because pollens can be blown long distances when it’s windy, you can still suffer even if you live in a urban sprawl. Inflammation can also be made worse by house dust, animals and pollution such as exhaust fumes.
Help! How Can I Avoid Pollen?
There are a few ways to reduce pollen exposure if you are a hayfever sufferer:
- Keep bedroom windows shut in Spring and Summer
- Keep car windows shut
- Avoid outdoors in the early evening: it is thought that any damp air causes pollen to drop to ground level
- Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes
How Can I Help Myself at Home?
Here are some handy self-help tips to help relieve your hayfever symptoms:-
- Blow your nose gently to avoid bursting pollen grains in your nose which could make symptoms worse
- Bathe itching eyes in a solution of Euphrasia tincture. Put a drop in an eyebath of cool boiled water and bathe eyes. (I get my tinctures here)
- Avoid cigarette smoke
- Take Vitamin C and Zinc to support the immune system while it is working hard Our Nutritional Therapist Catherine Jeans can advise on immune boosting supplements, which are available to buy.
- Find ways to reduce stress levels such as classes in meditation, exercise and breathing techniques. Stress can make many symptoms seem worse.
- Our nutritional therapist Catherine Jeans also recommends that you reduce any mucus forming or foods that may induce inflammation – these include dairy – especially cow’s milk and hard cheese, citrus, chocolate, sugary foods, red meats. You may also want to try Aller-C, a supplement which is available from our on-line store and contains vitamin C, Bromelain and quercetin, three nutrients which may help to regulate the immune system, deal with mucus and address inflammation inside your nose and airways.
So How Can Homeopathy Help Me with Hayfever Symptoms?
I choose to address hayfever symptoms with homeopathy in two main ways.
I can prescribe a medicine to deal with the acute hayfever symptoms such as watery eyes, runny nose. I can also treat clients in a “constitutional” way: that means finding a remedy that suits you as a whole person to boost your overall wellbeing before the season starts to try to stop or lessen the severity of symptoms in the first place.
If you know what exactly causes your allergies, I can also give you homeopathic medicine prepared from the allergen to de-sensitize you.
Why Might I Choose Homeopathy?
Homeopathic remedies are safe, natural, non harmful and non addictive.
Some clients choose homeopathy because conventional and over-the-counter medicines just aren’t working for them. Others prefer to try natural remedies first, particularly if they are worried about potential harmful side effects of other drugs. Many people don’t like taking medicines that make them drowsy, for example, if they are looking after people, using equipment or have to drive.
How Can I Work With Kathy?
If you are a hayfever sufferer now is the time to pay me a visit. If you want to be treated “constitutionally” as well as having remedies for hayfever symptoms, ring The Orange Grove Clinic Reception on Norwich (01603) 631 900 and book an hour’s appointment. Your investment is £50 including homeopathic pills and postage.
If you just want remedies for the acute symptoms to take instead of your usual over-the-counter medicines, book a half hour at a reduced investment of £20 (includes the pills and postage).
And above all, stay healthy naturally!