Feeling in a bit of a slump? Jackie Heffer-Cooke, the Orange Grove owner, offers advice on how to energise yourself this Spring.
As the great Dr Seuss writes in one of my favourite books ‘Oh, The Places You’ll Go’
“When you’re in a Slump,
you’re not in for much fun.
is not easily done.”
Being down or depressed, or just generally tired and lethargic can be cause by a great many personal, political and economic factors. Sometimes it is simply that our mojo has slipped away from us, sometimes some kind of personal loss whether it is a job, a pet or a person, sometimes it can be caused by illness or by pain.
It’s a really good idea, when you realise you are down, to make an effort to do as many things that can inspire to put you right as possible.
Spring is a great time for inspiring yourself to get out and do new things, or to rediscover the things that you love doing and do them more.
- Do Yoga. In our Monday Evening Orange Grove Yoga Classes this month we are practising hip openers and twists. Loosening tight hips helps alleviate back pain and improves your range of motion and circulation, helping your body feel more energised and ready to get back into the great outdoors.
- Get back into the great outdoors! Walk a dog, walk with your kids, your partner, on your own. Being back out and in tune with our natural surroundings is good for the body, the mind and the soul. Take yourself away from your inner dialogue for a little while, be mindful and notice things around you. The buds, the blossoms, the blooms. Spring is reawakening. Watching reawakening will help your state of mind.
- Practise a positive meditation like cultivating a seed. In our yoga practise this month we are focusing on an intention, that intention may be to do a thing (new job, paint the fence, create a painting, move to a new house), or to be more… (fill in gap… patient, kind, calm, active). Then we focus on being really aware of that intention, and nurturing it, looking after it, inspiring it, until it grows into a great big idea, or a new state of mind. Have a go… it really helps positively inspire the mind!
- Use an uplifting aromatherapy oil. Thyme, tangerine, lemon, peppermint, black pepper, grapefruit, lemongrass – yes, even just reading these words begins to make us feel a little more uplifted. Research studies on essential oils show positive effects on a variety of health concerns including, pain, anxiety, and depression.
- Book a massage. Yes, it’s true, massage isn’t just good for our physical bodies, it is great for our mental health too! So, give yourself a little Spring Zing and choose either a holistic massage, tailored to your individual body’s needs, or a deep tissue massage to soothe away those knots and anxieties that can get stuck in our shoulders, our hips, our neck. When we receive massage, we are introducing good hormones into our bodies, endorphins, and oxytocin. Both these natural hormones boost our mood and lift our spirit! That’s a biological fact! So don’t see treatments like these as an expense you can’t afford, instead see these treatments as an absolute must, as good mental and physical health, equals, a happier state of mind, improving not just our own life, but improving life for those around us too! Come and see us at our clinic in Norwich, call 01603 631900, or book here .
We at the Orange Grove believe in supporting our community, and supporting a happier, healthier you! So this seems like a good time of year to offer £15 off a set of 6 yoga classes to all Orange Grove Yoga beginners, simply enter 15offyoga in the coupon box at the checkout. Also take advantage of our spring offer £10 off a Spring Zing Massage! Make the most out of it, get a little spring in your step, and enjoy!